Glastonbury 2021 has officially been cancelled due to coronavirus.

After confirming that they would update Glasto lovers with news after cancellation speculation in January, the festival’s co-organisers Emily Eavis and Michael Eavis have confirmed that 2021 will be another forced fallow year for the Somerset festival.

Taking the festival virtual in 2020, and offering a Glastonbury experience on BBC, the Eavis said that their flagship live event will now be aiming for 2022. “In spite of our efforts to move Heaven and Earth, it has become clear we simply will not be able to make the festival happen this year,” they said, “We are so sorry to let you down.

“As with last year, we would like to offer all those who secured a ticket in October 2019 the opportunity to roll their £50 deposit over to next year, and guarantee the chance to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2022.

“We are very appreciative of the faith and trust placed in us by those of you with deposits, and we are very confident we can deliver something really special for us all in 2022.”

Glastonbury has been among the most vocal forces calling for UK government support with coronavirus insurance to help protect against cancellations and postponements this summer. As of Tuesday 5th January, the UK has gone back into a national lockdown which will run until mid-February at the earliest in a bid to curb surging COVID-19 infections. Elsewhere, in New Zealand tens of thousands have been attending festivals as life continues to return to something like normality, with new cases of the virus now numbering less than 80 across the country. 

You can see the post from Glastonbury below.