NTS has announced a new amapiano compilation, showcasing new music from the prominent South African subcultural scene. ‘Amapiano Now’ will land on 23rd July.
The release runs to no less than 17 tracks. Genre stalwarts Mr JazziQ, Vigro Deep, and Caltonic SA all feature, as does legendary producer DBN Gogo, who appears twice via collaborations with Dinho and Musa Keys.
Soweto-based artist Kamo Mphela presents her first fresh music since breakthrough single ‘Nkulunkulu’. And a new tune by revered amapiano hero, Gaba Cannal (pictured), is also included, which has been unveiled ahead of the full record.
Amapiano’s rise to prominence reflects South Africa’s unique and burgeoning house music landscape. Nodding to jazz, kwaito, low-tempo 1990s dance music, Bacardi, and soul, while still entirely of its own making, last year the sound gained recognition on a global scale.
The jury remains out on its precise origins, though. Some claim Gauteng, where its popularity first became outwardly visible, others suggest Johannesburg’s townships or the administrative capital, Pretoria, are responsible. Learn more about this in DJ Mag’s recent music column, ‘Amapiano Takeover‘. Meanwhile, NTS is currently on the hunt for new presenters and “genre specialists” to host its radio shows.
Various Artists — ‘Amapiano Now’
1. Caltonic SA ft. DJ Buckz, Thabz Le Madonga — Super Star
2. DBN Gogo & Musa Keys & Dinho (ft Koek Sister, Optimist Music SA, Makhanj & Lebza TheVillain) — Possible
3. Alfa Kat & TidoSoul — Sip Sip
4. MachiinaSA — James Bond
5. Gaba Cannal ft. E_Clips Mzansi — Shona Le
6. King Jazz — Lockdown
7. Teno Afrika — Power Station
8. MaWhoo ft. DJ Obza & Bongo Beats — Mswapheni
9. Kamo Mphela — Thula Thula
10. Mr JazziQ & Mphow69 — Stuff Room
11. Vigro Deep — Groove
12. Unlimited Soul — Utlwa
13. DBN Gogo & Felo Le Tee — Shuck n Jive
14. Entity MusiQ — 10111
15. DJ Nasty KG & VinoSA ft Teedo — Imali
16. Eminent Boyz & Sisters On Vocal — Mabena
17. Vusinator — It’s Never Too Late